Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Life Goes On

What a crazy few weeks! I can't express enough how thankful I am for such great friends and family. It's amazing the amount of support and love that comes flying in at times like this. I loved listening to conference this weekend and felt so uplifted by many of the talks. I feel like I've been on this spiritual high for the past week and a half. It's sad to be back to the "real world" again. Most of the family has flown out now. The main reason I even made it through these days is all the time I had with family. It was the most therapeutic experience. We had so many moments of just pure joy and laughter. We enjoyed the time reminiscing about our childhood, and our different experiences with Joyce. She truly is an amazing person. I find comfort in knowing she isn't suffering any more. Our family talked about the fact that she has her hair back, and her rosy cheeks!

One experience I found through all this is how quickly you leave the "world" behind. We hear so often "you can't take anything with you" so the things of the world shouldn't matter. That became so clear to me. After Joyce died, suddenly her apartment was filled with "stuff." Her makeup, clothes, decorations, shoes, socks, books, jewelry, nail polish, shampoo, lotions, etc. One minute they were hers, the next is was just "stuff." The greatest realization of all, is what Joyce not only took with her, but what she has left. She has the strongest Testimony of Jesus Christ & Joseph Smith. She also has so much compassion towards others, and loved to serve others. She has the sweetest personality and smile, and dedicated her life to family & the church. In her short 25 years, she spent it serving others.

I can't believe she is really gone. I look at pictures and we watched some home movies the other day. It was very odd, and just didn't seem real that she was gone. I feel like I can still call her when ever I want. I got an email yesterday from "Joyce Riding." Stu had sent us an email from her email account. It made my heart skip when I saw it in my inbox.

Did any of you hear the conference talk about cancer being the disease of love or something to that effect? It really is so true. For the past two years we have been able to travel back and forth to Texas, take tons of family photos, capture several events on film, spend hours on the phone or sending emails back and forth throughout this whole experience. We shared so many wonderful experiences together and didn't take one moment for granted. It really is incredible to reflect back and see how blessed we truly were/are. I'm so grateful we had these past two years together to grow closer as a family. Cancer sucks, but there are positive events that come from it!

Her funeral was amazing. It was the most incredible funeral I've ever been to. It really was a celebration of her life. Everyone I have talked to that attended (myself included) left wanting to be a better person. She truly inspired so many people. Her husband spoke and did such a great job. I can't believe the strength he has! She was so lucky to have him. They were only married 4 years! The things they had to go through in those 4 years would have put most couples over the edge (medical school, cancer, remission, pregnant, cancer returns, chemo while pregnant, deliver baby, continue chemo treatments, deathly ill, graduate medical school, start residency, chemo continues but isn't working, Joyce continues to get worse...).

Well, anyway, thank you again for all your kind comments, calls, support, etc. I have really been uplifted through it all. Don't take one moment for granted with your loved ones. You never know what the future holds (cheesey, but it's true).

8 comments:

Katy said...

Trisha you continue to amaze me!

Georges said...

Trisha we've been thinking so much about your family. We just want you to know our thoughts and prayers are with you. Thanks for helping us put things in the right perspective.
Kathleen and Dillon George

Chelsea said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Trish, what an amazing blog entry after such a hard thing. You and your family are in our prayers.

Brad, Tracee and Brooks said...

Trisha,
We have been thinking about you nonstop! My mom called last week to make sure I had heard the news-she and my dad send their love! They were in Hawaii or else they would have come to the funeral. She was so sorry to miss it! I did hear that quote-cancer is a disease of love and it was a beautiful statement, but still I am so sorry for you loss! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and beautiful words! You are so strong and you are an amazing sister and friend! Much Love to you and your family!

Mary said...

Trish, I loved your writing about "stuff". You don't often realize how unimportant the "stuff" around you is, until you go through something like this. It makes me want to focus on the "stuff" that really is important and lasting!

kecia said...

you and your family are a great example of faith and strength in hard times! you are helping us all keep things in perspective and understand what really matters!

Marli said...

What a great post. It made me cry and think about those things that truly are important. Your an inspiration just like your sister. Thanks Trish.

Heidi said...

Trisha, hey I came across your blog the other day, through all our firends, it's fun isn't it? You have such a cute family. I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your cute sister. That is so hard, but it's true what you said about it being a disease of love. How unbelievable. I hope we can get together sometime.
Heidi Hasleton (Peterson)