Parker decided to bring in the new year with a bang. Earlier this morning while I was getting ready for the day, Parker knocked out his front tooth on our coffee table. Not chipped, not cracked...OUT! He has a big gaping hole where a tooth used to be. Can you think of anything worse? I was putting on mascara when I heard a big crash followed by screaming. I ran in to the living room and saw Amber hugging Parker and saying "it's ok." I immediately saw a mouth full of blood so I assumed he bit his tongue or cheek. There was so much blood I couldn't see anything. I quickly took him to the bathroom to rinse out his mouth. I got a washcloth and was dabbing everywhere when I all the sudden saw the gap. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was seriously in shock. So many things were running through my head, but mostly "is this for real?" "how can we fix this?!" We took him to a pediatric dentist, and unfortunately nothing can be done. He'll have this gigantic gap for years to come. To make matters worse, it kind of "stunts" the growth of the permanent tooth, so we're looking at a good 7-9 years before his permanent tooth grows in. I was hoping with technology these days some sort of artificial tooth could be put in, but the dentist said it'd just fall out. I was so convinced we'd get this fixed I took these "before" photos thinking he'd be toothless for just a few hours. As I was snapping them, I'm thinking "this is so crappy now, but we'll laugh at it in years to come." I'm pretty devastated. Mostly upset because of the "what if" or "if only" and especially because kids are so mean. I don't want kids making fun of him. It makes me so sad to even think about it. One more blow, is we haven't taken his one year picture yet! It's sad we didn't at least capture that before today. Parker didn't cry long though. He must be brave. As soon as I picked him up he stopped crying, and it seems it hasn't bothered him at all since. The only thing I noticed is it took him a lot longer to eat a piece of bread. SAD!
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
Good way to start out the year
Parker decided to bring in the new year with a bang. Earlier this morning while I was getting ready for the day, Parker knocked out his front tooth on our coffee table. Not chipped, not cracked...OUT! He has a big gaping hole where a tooth used to be. Can you think of anything worse? I was putting on mascara when I heard a big crash followed by screaming. I ran in to the living room and saw Amber hugging Parker and saying "it's ok." I immediately saw a mouth full of blood so I assumed he bit his tongue or cheek. There was so much blood I couldn't see anything. I quickly took him to the bathroom to rinse out his mouth. I got a washcloth and was dabbing everywhere when I all the sudden saw the gap. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was seriously in shock. So many things were running through my head, but mostly "is this for real?" "how can we fix this?!" We took him to a pediatric dentist, and unfortunately nothing can be done. He'll have this gigantic gap for years to come. To make matters worse, it kind of "stunts" the growth of the permanent tooth, so we're looking at a good 7-9 years before his permanent tooth grows in. I was hoping with technology these days some sort of artificial tooth could be put in, but the dentist said it'd just fall out. I was so convinced we'd get this fixed I took these "before" photos thinking he'd be toothless for just a few hours. As I was snapping them, I'm thinking "this is so crappy now, but we'll laugh at it in years to come." I'm pretty devastated. Mostly upset because of the "what if" or "if only" and especially because kids are so mean. I don't want kids making fun of him. It makes me so sad to even think about it. One more blow, is we haven't taken his one year picture yet! It's sad we didn't at least capture that before today. Parker didn't cry long though. He must be brave. As soon as I picked him up he stopped crying, and it seems it hasn't bothered him at all since. The only thing I noticed is it took him a lot longer to eat a piece of bread. SAD!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Trish! I am SO sorry! That is a tough one to go through. Poor little Parker! He still looks darling though. I just feel so sorry for the little guy. I'm glad he's feeling okay though. I would've thought the dentist would be able to do something about it too! Way to start the year! (Ours starting with puking kids - fun times all around!)
Little Parky! ahhh. I know how he feels, I'm so sorry that happened! I do know a great person to make him a tooth if his permanent tooth has problems. Maybe he'll learn to whistle through it and it will be a great blessing! One of those "hidden talents"
I'm sorry Trish and Parker. The pictures gave me chills. He is still so cute. Take his one year pictures and photo shop a tooth in. :)
Oh Trish! I feel horrible that I am laughing right now. Seriously. What a crappy friend. But how funny is this? I can't believe they can't do anything to fix it! That is insane. Well, if it makes you feel any better, I got knocked in the tooth when I was wrastlin with my brothers when I was a kido and had a dead tooth (nice big black tooth) in my kindergarten, firstgrade and second grade pictures. Let's just say my mother wasn't thrilled. But they are by far my favorite school pictures. Battle wounds if you will. And I have proof. And so will little Parker. Lov ya!
Trish, I am so sorry. The same thing happened to my nephew last year only he lost his two front bottom teeth! Such a bummer. At least Parker is a dang cute kid and still will be. I hope you are getting over the trauma.
We will make sure Parker does not get made fun of! Max and Will will have his back. He is adorable and his cute hair makes up for a missing tooth. he is one tough kid and who knew you would be playing tooth fairy with your one year old! Much love!
So I just saw your blog, cute stuff. But I am sorry about Parker and his tooth. It can be endearing. Think of it as a birthmark, I dunno? How are you feeling about it now?
Oh Trish! And Oh Parker! That just plain sucks! I'm glad that he's okay and that it wasn't anything worse. It sounds like you handled it well, I don't do well in those situations and I know they're bound to happen so hopefully I can be calm and take care of business like you. I am so suprised that they can't do anything for him either! It's okay though, Parker is a such a cutie, he'll be fine. And kids lose they're teeth at such different ages, he'll fit right in in no time! In fact, kids will be jealous! My neice has tooth loss envy because she hasn't lost any teeth yet and she's 8!
Post a Comment