Monday, January 28, 2008

Southern Caribbean Cruise

I'm warning you now, this post is more of a journal for me, so it will be lengthy. Matt and I just got back from a cruise in the Southern Caribbean. It was so dang fun! We had such a blast. It was our first time "crusin." We went with Jill & Eddy, Jill's sister Julie & Mike, and Matt's brother Aaron and his girlfriend Fitriah. What a fun bunch! We seriously had such a great time together. It was a seven day cruse. We left from Puerto Rico, and from there went to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antiga, St. Lucia and then Barbados. What a fun way to explore several beautiful places in one trip. Matt and I enjoyed every island. Each one we'd love to go back and spend a good week exploring. It was so much fun!

Matt and I flew to San Juan on Friday the 18th. We stayed the night and spent the next day exploring Old San Juan. It was a beautiful city. Matt took some awesome photos, but they're on his camera so these aren't it.






I loved the architecture there. I'll have to load up some of Matt's photos later. He really captured more of the beauty there. We met up with Aaron & Fitriah earlier that morning. They took a red eye Friday night and arrived Saturday morning. We got on the ship later that afternoon and then set sail to St. Thomas.

I didn't get any pictures in St. Thomas. I was too busy trying on diamond rings. I guess St. Thomas is known for diamonds. We spent the first couple hours walking up and down the shopping corridor, and I swear every other store was a diamond store. Fitriah and I loved shopping! I found 3 rings I'm regretting not buying. It's better for our pocket book though. They would have cost about $10,000 for the 3, but in the states they would have easily been $25,000 or more. It was so tempting. I'd buy a new ring every anniversary if we could afford it! Anyway, we had a great time seeing the city. We got a tour guide that was so dang fun. He took us around the city, and to a fun beach. It rained a lot that day, but we still had a great time. At one of the beaches, a local band was playing "rasta" music. I could have listened to it all day.

There are a lot of crazy folks out there. One guy in particular was 70 years old (it appeared anyway, he could have been younger). The picture below explains it best. He had a donkey he was hauling around in an attempt to get photos for money. He'd approach people and say "hey, do you want to sit on my ass?" The poor little mule looked like it was on it's last leg. I got up for a photo, and it may have been the last for him. This guy had painted his hooves, and put these ridiculous sunglasses on him. Here's a picture.




We went on and on to Jill, Eddy, Julie and Mike about this crazy guy and his donkey and his dreads. When we finally showed them a picture of him, Eddy said "why didn't we talk about his shirt before?" It made me laugh so hard. Here we went on and on about this guy, but forgot to mention how crazy his outfit was.

Well, I'll have to post more later. This takes so much time! How does anyone have enough time to keep theirs up to date, and read others? I'm so behind on all of your blogs. Sorry!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

The Caribbean is so wonderful. I'm jealous you were there. Coming home to the cold is a drag I bet. Can't wait to hear more.

Brad, Tracee and Brooks said...

This looks like SO much fun! Tell Jill hello for me! It gives me an idea for a graduation gift for Brad-a cruise? Thanks!