Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Big 30



Happy Birthday to me! I turned the big 3-0 this year. Of course it was no big deal...how can we help getting older? It is just strange to be in my 30's. I feel like I'm 25 still. Matt and I were discussing just the other day that we have entered a whole new stage. We used to look at some of our "older" friends that had three kids, drove a minivan, etc. and just thought of them as established. They had careers, not just a job. They had kids in school, not babies. We're now there. It is a weird feeling. The first time I realized it was when we were in Jackson Hole this past summer. For the first time I felt old. Here I had three kids and the whole van thing, and yet I used to live there, ran the river, etc. I looked at all the "kids" around me and thought, I used to be them! Now I'm in a whole new stage of life.





Matt made me the traditional breakfast cake for breakfast. We do this for every birthday. My mom would make it for us, so we've kept the tradition. We all love it and have no problem eating the whole cake. Amber had picked out those flowers for me, and Parker got me a Symphony Chocolate Bar (Matt told me they picked out the gifts themselves). Matt got me some much needed new clothes.




Sara and Abby had me and the kids over for lunch. The got my favorite; Cafe Rio's Pork Salad . Sara made a yummy cake dessert. They sang and everything! It was the most we've been able to chat for months. Usually when we get the kids together it's crazy and we don't get to visit at all. This time though, all the big kids played in the back while we played in the kitchen with our babies. It was so fun!
That night Matt and I went to dinner. Emily Loveland had offered to watch our kids that night. So I dropped them off and Matt and I left. We went to the Garden downtown. It was fun...great food, good conversation, beautiful views of the city. It was great. I knew Matt had something planned afterwords, but I wasn't sure what. He wouldn't tell me. We headed towards home so I started to think it was cake and ice cream with my family. We got home and I opened the door to all my family and many of our friends. It was such a fun surprise. He went to a lot of trouble. He had arranged so much all with out me knowing! I was impressed. He even had my mom come over and help clean up the house (who can leave it spotless ever? If you know how please let me know!). He had Sara buy my favorite desserts (including Pumpkin Pie!!!), in addition to decorations (her personal favorite is the antelope decor...see the first photo). He had Mandy make a yummy cake, Debbie made a yummy apple pie. It looked so cute inside, and it was fun to see so many people I love all in one room! I was almost overwhelmed because I wanted to talk to each person individually but it's hard to do that in such a short period of time. I was grateful for all who came, and had such a fun time.

Carrie and Emily
Eric, Aubrey, Matt and Alan Pohlman
Emily and me

Mandy, Cole, Abby & Oliver, and Jill
Grandpa (Lee), Grandma (Debbie), and Mom (Grammy)

Travis with Allee, Nathan, Jody, Sara and Jill with her back toward the camera. Jody made the cute cookie bouquet. She is so talented, and I swear makes the BEST sugar cookies ever!!! I was selfish and wouldn't share these that night. I've made them with her before hoping to capture her secret, but for some reason when I tried it on my own they just didn't taste as good. I don't know why! She is seriously a master. If you don't believe me, just ask her to bake you some (as long as I'm there to eat some too).
Parkie, me and Travis
Little Macy
Travis, Nathan, Jody, Sara and Macy

Grandma Deming and Aubrey

Abby, Max, Carrie holding Katelyn (Emily's baby)
Mandy with Will, Cole and Jeremy


Grandpa Deming and Matt
Carrie, Mom and Cole
Amber and me
Amber, me and Bailey
Parker
Carrie, Mom and me (and part of little Cole)



Oops, Ryan sat on a piece of pie...hard to tell with his shorts
Here's the flattened pie

A big thanks to Matt for pulling this all off and making it such a fun birthday. He is such a good husband. He was just as excited as I was when we came inside. What a cutie!




4 comments:

Anna said...

Happy Birthday to you! I hope you had a great day - sounds like you did. Oh and you aren't in your 30's yet...you are just 30. Next year you will be in you 30's...like me. Actually, that is more weird then truning 30. Love ya!

Emily said...

I am so glad Ry's buns made the post:). It was a fun night - I hope you had a very happy birthday. Thanks for sharing it with me during dance and the party. You are the best!! I need to bring your gift and we need to plan our get-away! xoxo

Katy said...

So fun!! We are so bummed we were out of town and missed the big bash! Hope you had a great day!

Mary said...

I'm having so much fun reading all your new posts! Love it.

Anyway, what a fun birthday celebration! Looks like a blast. Hope it's a great year for you!!